Search This Blog

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Turquoise & Leather Necklace

Earlier this year I had seen a necklace on a guest of the Today Show. It was eye catching and beautiful! My eyes zoomed in on it the moment it registered that it was turquoise! Oh turquoise how do I love thee, let me count the ways...
I had to give the combination of turquoise and substantial leather my twist...my signature!
Years ago...way before I even dreamed of creating the caliber of art I do now...I was at a gem/bead show. There was a wire artist demonstrating tools of her trade. Not only was she showing me things I had not seen before...she was so friendly, sharing and funny! Her name is Corrine Gurry and goes by The Wire Wizard.
At one point she demonstrated a jig that out does all the jigs I've seen...it's "The Really Big Jig"! I bought it, with no idea of when I might use it.
So I used it! =) The copper wire was far easier to shape into a free form shape using the jig.
After some hammer therapy, I added more texture with phosphor bronze wire. The turquoise is stitched in place with sterling silver.
The challenging part was adding the silver findings to the leather. I never do things that are easy...easy is boring...easy is not challenging! After shaving some of the leather off of the back, I was able to get the pinch clasps in place! =)
So...ta da! =)

1 comment:

  1. This is so cool. I love the combination of leather and a gemstone. I wish you could have a Burmese jade variation of this. :)

    ReplyDelete